This recipe can be made with apples or pears for the fruit and pecans or walnuts for the nuts, and all options are most excellent! The fruit and nuts flavored with caramel is a flavor sensation not to be missed.
1 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
8 cups apples or pears
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1. For the crust, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. With a pastry blender, or a fork, cut in the butter. Lightly beat together the egg, milk and vanilla. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well blended. Chill the dough.
2. Peel and thinly slice the apples or pears. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the fruit and cook until just tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let cool.
3. Lightly grease the sides of a 9″inch pie pan. Press half of the dough around the sides of the pan. Keep remaining dough chilled.
4. Stir together the melted butter and brown sugar. Pour into the pie pan. Arrange nuts in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. Gently lay the fruit slices over the nuts.
5. Take the remaining dough and place in on a piece of waxed paper. Roll it out to be a circle to cover the pie dish. Center the dough over the filling and gently press the pastry to the edges of the pan.
6. Bake in a 400 degree oven until the crust is browned, about 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and place a heat proof plate over the pan and invert, letting the pan rest briefly so that the caramel can drip onto the fruit.
8. Reheat at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.